Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mysterious Inspiration

I recently watched a TED talk given by visionary writer/director/producer J.J. Abrams. He discussed his love for mechanical engineering, movie-making technologies, mystery, and magic. When he was growing up, his grandfather gave them things like a super-8 camera and synthesizer so that he could create and bring to life his imagination. This fueled his love for film and his creativity. He then went on to discuss his love for mystery. In New York there was a magic shop he went to as a kid. One day he received a box of magic supplies for himself. One day, many years laters, he was in his office and saw the box, which had never been opened. He thought to himself, “Why have I never opened this?” He soon realized that it inspires him to explore the mysteries of life. Finally, one day he was watching a keynote from Steve Jobs whom was introducing a new iPod. On the screen of the iPod used in the keynote was the cover from the TV show Lost, one of the shows Abrams created. 


This TED talk inspired me for several reasons. First, Abrams love for mysteries reminded me that not all things in life are neatly organized and expected. There are mysterious in life for us to discover: some good, some bad. I realized that I need to embrace mystery and face it head on. Second, he had family who was wholeheartedly behind him in all of his endeavors. This made me realize the wonderful family I have who do the same for me. They are behind me and encourage me to follow my dreams. Finally, you never know where your work will end up or who will admire it. Abrams was shocked and ecstatic when he saw one of his leaders of inspiration, Steve Jobs, use his work in a presentation that was seen worldwide. What an honor this would be for anyone to achieve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment